Week two was much, much easier. My first week of Whole 30 was a challenge in many ways: navigating the grocery store, reading tons of ingredient labels, and getting into the groove. While some of that was actually fun for me, my emotions were all over the place on days 6 and 7. I was scared I was going to feel like a hormonal teenager for a while, but luckily it’s been smooth sailing since day 8. And actually, it’s been really great. I’ve been more upbeat and easy going than usual. There was only one day last week when I felt a little anxious, but it quickly passed. Friday was the only day I had trouble with a craving; I really just wanted to settle in with a glass of wine after a long meeting. But nope, I didn’t give in.
Instead of giving you a daily breakdown like last week, here’s a list of what I ate throughout week 2.
- fried eggs + bacon + avocado
- hard-boiled eggs + apple + avocado
- grilled salmon + stir-fried veggies
- turkey meatballs + spaghetti squash + homemade pasta sauce
- cod with roasted tomatoes + basil
- indian butter chicken (don’t worry, no dairy in my recipe)
- butternut squash soup with apple & ginger — recipe soon
- baked rosemary & oregano chicken breast
- carnitas salad from chipotle (the carnitas are the only whole 30 approved item!)
- roasted purple potatoes + carrots
- collard greens with bacon
- a lot of sauteed veggies (bell peppers, broccoli, onions, mushrooms, kale)
- nuts & seeds mix (walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds)
- dried apricots
- plantain slices cooked in coconut oil
I’ve always been a creature of habit when it comes to breakfast, so I’ve been perfectly fine eating having almost the same exact breakfast every day. In fact, I’ve eaten more bacon on Whole 30 than ever and I love that. It took me a while to find a sugar-free bacon and I was thrilled to find the Wellshire brand at a nearby Whole Foods. Not all the stores carry it so keep your eyes peeled or ask the meat department to order it for you. They will!
I’ve been keeping a food/mood journal and each day I write down how far, percentage-wise, I’ve come. Watching the percentage increase definitely encourages me. I also look forward to my the Whole 30 newsletter each morning. It’s packed with tips and recipe ideas, but what I like the most is that it tells you what changes your body is going through and explains the physical reactions you’re encountering. When I was super moody and snappy, my newsletter basically told me I wasn’t going insane.
As I type this, I’m wrapping up Day 15 and am thrilled to be halfway done. But to be honest, two more weeks seems like a while! Right now I don’t miss ANY foods, which is shocking to me. I do want champagne though. Those bubbles!!! I bought seltzer water to mix things up, because let’s face it — water, tea, and coffee get boring.
Ready for week 3! Let me know if you have any questions! And if you’re also doing the challenge, how are you feeling!?