1. Today is May 1. I’ve always loved the first day of each month because it feels like a fresh start. We were reminded at the gym that the first day of Summer is only 27 days away. Use this as a gentle reminder to stay on track with your eating and fitness. Don’t you want to be proud of all your hard work when you hit the beach?
2. I’m so happy I’m sticking with GoPerformance. Each class is a total body workout so I’m seeing results in areas that I hadn’t been focusing on, specifically core strength. I was really excited about this challenge: planking on medicine balls. Planking is one thing, but those balls roll around so you have to keep them still the entire time.
Also, the guy behind me was doing “anyhows” but appears to be doing a monkey dance. I can’t stop laughing at it.
3. All these insane workouts allow me to relax about my eats a couple days a week. On Saturday, Logan and I went to The Macintosh for dinner. We both agree that it’s easily one our favorite bars and restaurants to eat at in Charleston. The bar is where you should both eat and drink. We had our favorite insanely unhealthy appetizer, The Butcher Plate: bologna, pork rillette, Guinea hog ham, lardo, foie gras duck liver parfait.
Can you say “oink, oink”? We also tried the Ramp Cavatelli with sugar snap peas, slow cooked egg, pancetta, and ramp butter. I didn’t love the chewiness of the pastas, but the vegetables and broth were good.
Brace yourselves for the next dish. For the first time ever, we both tried soft shell crab. Oh. My. Gosh. I can’t stop talking about how good it was. It was served with asparagus, Ambrose Farm’s sugar snap peas, ramps, and red leaf lettuce in a fine herbs pistou.
4. For someone who rarely watches tv (I’m always writing or reading!), I’ve fallen victim to reality tv. I’m ashamed to admit how much I love Bravo’s LA Shrinks and Real Housewives of Orange County.
Did anyone catch The Queen of Versailles documentary? I have so much to say about it, someone please discuss this with me!
5. I still have a brain though. I started re-reading The Great Gatsby to prepare for the new moving coming out May 10th. Who wants to go see this?
6. This poster shows you the vitamins in fruits and vegetables. How fun is this? We should all plaster it in our dining rooms.
What’s your favorite local/seasonal item right now? Favorite reality show? Favorite book turned movie?