If there’s one silly thing I don’t deal well with, it’s the end of summer. Yes, I do enjoy the cooler temperatures (and okay, football season), but I strongly prefer the warmer months.
Beach. Sunshine. Dresses. Shorts. Being tan. Natural highlights. Freckles. Floral scents. Coconut flavors. Shirtless men.
Ok, let me stop before I get out of hand! So what’s so great about fall, anyway? All I ever hear is “PUMPKIN SPICE LATTES OMG!!!” Enough already! I think the thing that freaks me out most about summer ending is that the next couple months go by like a blur and then BOOM, it’s holiday season. Homegirl is just not a fan of all that.
So maybe that’s why I’m hanging on to summer vegetables like it’s never going away. Or maybe it’s because it’s still freakin’ warm here and the crops still produce said veggies. Either way, you should make this salad. It’s fresh, crisp, flavorful, but best of all simple to make. Oh, and did I mention the veggies are raw? Yeah, you’re getting a lotta nutrients that way. Peace out, multivitamin.
Summer Vegetable Salad
- 2 medium zucchini, shaved or thinly sliced using a mandolin
- 2 medium yellow squash, shaved or thinly sliced using a mandolin
- 2 medium ears of yellow corn, kernels removed
- 2 scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2-3 tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- s&p to taste
- In a large bowl, toss zucchini, yellow squash, corn, scallions, garlic, and parsley.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice and olive oil. Add to vegetables and toss. Season with salt and pepper. Serves 4-6 as a side.
I came up with this recipe after reading Martha Stewart’s seasonal produce guide for the thousandth time. Her site has different fruits and vegetables organized by season and a ton of recipes for each. It’s so helpful when I’m deciding how to use up my weekly CSA box. And speaking of CSA, the Gruber Farm CSA for fall has begun again! I’m thrilled! Check out this week’s goods.
A lot of summer vegetables with a hint of fall. Just lovely!
What do you love about summer? What do you love about fall?