Sometimes when I get my CSA boxes I’m overwhelmed by all the different veggies and how I might want to cook them. I usually focus on one specifically to come up with a new recipe. This week I wanted to focus on using several of them in one dish. Upon opening my box, it was clear which veggies I needed to make soon as I had plenty of them: zucchini, squash, and onions.
Lemony Spring Vegetable Stir-Fry
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 small onions (or 1 large)
- 1 (15.5) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 large bunch of kale, chopped
- 3 large zucchini, chopped
- 3 yellow squash, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 handful of fresh basil, chopped
- 1 handful of fresh mint, chopped
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add onion, chickpeas, and a generous pinch of salt. Sautee until the onions have softened and the chickpeas are golden brown. Stir in kale and cook for an additional minute. Remove everything and place into a bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and add the zucchini, squash, and garlic. Cook for a few minutes, or until zucchini has changed color and softened a bit.
- Add the onion, kale, and chickpeas back to the pan and stir in the lemon juice, basil, and mint. Season with more salt if needed. Serve over quinoa or couscous.
This recipe is great because it’s very veggie heavy and will fill you up. The lemon juice and fresh herbs pull it all together and give otherwise bland vegetables a great flavor. And bonus: it’s also vegan. : ) If you really wanted to, you could add feta on top, but I promise it’s not needed.
What’s your favorite Spring vegetable? What about your favorite veggie combo?