I know what you’re thinking. Is this girl really making oatmeal in July? Has she lost her mind? The answer to the first question is “Yes.” The answer to the second question is “Maybe.”
I was beyond sick on Monday/Tuesday. Danielle and I both got food poisoning and we spent all day yesterday whining to each other via text. My day consisted of lying on the couch drinking ginger ale and coconut water, eating frozen mango and almonds, and listening to this lady yell at people:
I just love how vicious she is! Sometimes (read: a lot of the time) she can be a little harsh, but it makes for good television, right?
So after a day of lame eats and mindless television, I needed something comforting. I woke up Wednesday morning after sleeping TEN HOURS (you know I was sick) and craved oats. Sweet, sugary oats.
Almond Milk and Maple Oatmeal with Dates
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup almond milk, divided
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. almonds, chopped (about 8 whole)
- 1 pitted date, chopped
- maple syrup
- Soak the oats and half of the almond milk in the refrigerator overnight if you have time. This softens the oats and makes for a creamier bowl in the morning. When it’s time to cook the oatmeal, combine the oats and remaining 1/2 cup of milk and warm in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir often, and cook for a few minutes or until oatmeal is thick and creamy.
- Place oatmeal in a bowl and top with almonds, dates, and a drizzle of maple syrup. Serves 1.
I recommend eating a bowl of this oatmeal while you sip your favorite coffee and watch Patti’s matchmaking skills. 😉 Oh, and since I’ve brought up matchmakers, any of you Charleston locals looking for love need to check out my friend Buffie’s business. Buffie is Charleston’s favorite matchmaker who started Wine Pairings. She organizes wine tastings for small groups looking to be paired up. How perfect is that? Buffie’s a sweetheart, so don’t be shy and give her a ring!
Tomorrow is FRIDAY!!