At the end of November, I began thinking about my goals for 2017. I’m not usually one to make year-long resolutions, but instead, each month focus on a mini challenge. I always think short-term goals are more attainable and often turn into long-term changes. Think about it: how many times have you made a resolution at the beginning of the year and then…oh…forgot about it? Trust me, I’m guilty of this. Every year since 2010 I think “Ok, this year I am going to be more decisive!” Bah! I’ve always been better at challenges (with a goal in mind) so I often set them for myself…but I don’t need a new year to begin them. And either do you! You should start a goal when you’re thinking about it enough to know you need to make a change. And sometimes that time… is now. Just don’t wait!
That said, here are my goals for 2017.
- Go to church more. 2016 was a big year for me, faith wise. I converted to Catholicism and spent a lot of time learning about my religion. I went to church 35 times. Call me a weirdo, but I saved all of my bulletins because they are special to me. I counted them the other day, and while I was proud of going so many times, there’s always room for more. I think of church the same way I think of going to the gym; go every Sunday and start your week on the right note. It really sets the tone for the week.
- Improve my photography. Last year I spent a ton of time photographing food at work. The amount of burger & frappe photos I have on my computer is absurd. I took two workshops (one on Basic Photography, one on Food Photography) as well as several online courses. In 2017, my goal is to take the following classes: advanced photography class, advanced food photography class, composition, and lighting.
- Better organize my time. Time management has never been my thing. I am not a planner. I am a single girl with no children and no pets, honestly where the heck do I really need to be besides work??? Kidding! But that mindset often causes me to overlook how much I really can get done with my free time…so long as I plan it out the right way. I bought this amazing planner and am looking forward to using it this year.
- Be more active. I still don’t know how it happened, but when I moved to Boston my drive for fitness fell to the wayside. I’d work out there and there for a couple months but eh, it wasn’t as fun to me. I swear that living in Charleston and having to be in a bikini the majority of the year kept me going. But here, not so much. Last June I quit going to the gym until November! If you know me well, that is crazy talk. However, I’m pumped to say that I’ve joined Barre N9ne, an awesome study right near my work. I’ve been going nonstop since November and am loving it. For Christmas I got a 3-month unlimited package and am already making use of it. I love seeing the physical changes and feeling the mental clarity from exercise. (Psst, I have guest passes if anyone would like to go!)
- Make more healthy meals for the blog. It’s no coincidence that when I’m working out more, I eat much better. When I cook at home, it’s a clean, wholesome meal that focuses on vegetables and lean meats. Eating out is another story ;). I’d love to be better about sharing my meals and eating habits. It’s motivation for us both!
- Slow down. People always make fun of me because I’m this miniatured sized human being that runs around like a tornado. I try to do a million things, to a fault. Sometimes too quickly. I need to slow down my gust of wind to a nice breeeeeeeze. Relax. Breathe deeply and focus. Probbbbably gonna need to meditate one of these days.
- Spend more time with my grandparents. I love my family so much, but my grandparents and grammy are the greatest. My grandparents are in NC and though I was down in July, I am already eager for another visit. My grammy, who lives here in MA, and I see each other often and our lunch dates are so special to me. Here’s to spending more quality time with the people who’ve had such a positive influence on my life.
What are your goals and wishes for the 2017? Do share!