1. Nourish yourself. Your body is a temple, and what you put in it affects what you put out. No, I’m not talking about your poo. When you eat well, you feel well. Your energy and overall mood are greatly affected by what you take in. Grab an apple and smile!
2. Look around you and appreciate everything. Whether it’s being thankful for your family, your home, or the sun shining above you, take a moment to bask in all the beauty around you.
3. Treat yourself. If you make a conscious effort to treat your body well, you shouldn’t have any issues with rewarding yourself. Moderation is key. Overindulging leads to guilt, so keep your treats to a minimum. How much more will you appreciate a big ol’ cookie with a glass of milk versus that sleeve of Oreos?
4. Smile at a stranger. You have no idea how this little gesture can affect someone’s day for the better. Using just 17 muscles, you’ll not only feel a bit better, but you’ll make someone else grin. Guaranteed.
5. Compliment someone. Like #4, this doesn’t take much effort, and is such an effective way to positively shape someone’s attitude. In turn, complimenting them will also remind you how lucky you’re to have them in your life.
6. Do something active. Get off your couch and go! Spend some time outside, go for a run, play catch with your child, or take a walk with your pet. There are 24 hours in the day and there’s no reason why you can’t spend a minimum of 30 minutes being active.
7. Read something. Grab a magazine, newspaper, or book, or surf your favorite website. Knowledge is power. Bonus: teach someone what you learned.
8. Say no to something. One of the most important lessons I’ve learned as a young adult is that it’s okay to say no sometimes. We in our 20s have a habit of taking on too much and trying to outdo one another. Life doesn’t always have to be a race to the finish line. It’s okay to not want to do something because you have too much going on. Carefully choose what’s most important to you, and put forth maximum effort on those few things.
9. Tell a family member or friend that you love them. If you have someone in your life that you love, they should know it. Those three words can be so powerful when you mean it.
10. At the end of the day, spend some time by yourself. Review what went on throughout your waking hours. Be thankful for all the positives, let go of all the negatives. Remember that tomorrow is a new day and you can start all over again.