Try not to be shocked that you’re seeing a recipe on my blog. I know, it’s been a hot minute. Forgive me, for I have blog sinned. I’ve just been eating way too much Chick-fil-A.
At Trader Joe’s, the produce isn’t priced by weight, but just a set number. B-nut squash is $1.99, so naturally I picked up the largest one I could find. This monster was like a newborn baby. Lugging it up the stairs was both a bicep and a leg workout and I am not even kidding.
You know what else was a workout? Peeling the stupid thing. #firstworldproblems
I cut the squash up in 1-inch cubes and roasted it for about 35 minutes on 400*. That evening, I used it to decorate my quinoa.
Butternut Squash and Blue Cheese Quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups low-sodium, fat free chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 cups roasted cubed butternut squash
- 6 oz. bag of baby spinach
- 4 Laughing Cow blue cheese wedges (or use 2 oz. blue cheese)
- In a large saucepan, add quinoa, chicken broth, and cinnamon and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until broth is absorbed.
- Add the butternut squash and blue cheese and mix well.
- Stir in the spinach until wilted.
Love a colorful recipe! If only this had something purple in it, then we’d have all my favorite colors.
As I was eating this and loving it (obviously), I asked my twitter friends for help naming the recipe. I got some funny responses:
Ben, Thatrunnerchick, and Boding are amazing.
Stevie is a freakshow and I love him.
Andy and Derek aren’t allowed in my house now.
Bo, Heather, RotiRolls and Holly can walk right in the door without knocking.
Have I told you guys lately that I love twitter?