I thought I was excited to share my butternut squash soup with you last week, but I’m even more excited about this one. Another orange-hued soup to give your skin that summery tint you need in February. Kidding! Maybe…
Carrots have a high sugar content, so I think they’re best cooked with savory flavors to tone down sweetness. The beautiful thing about vegetables is that they really don’t need much to be delicious. Just a bit of this and a touch of that and you’re good. That way you don’t lose the flavor of the precious vegetable!
Creamy Carrot Lemongrass Soup
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 lb. carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 tbsp. salt, divided
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 stalk lemongrass, top half cut off then thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- In a large stockpot, add the coconut oil over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the onion, carrots, and 1/4 tbsp. of salt. Sauté, stirring occasionally, for about 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are golden brown.
- Add the stock, deglazing and scraping the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the coconut milk, lemongrass, turmeric, and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Let simmer for 25 minutes or until the carrots are fork-tender.
- Remove the lemongrass stalks and transfer soup in batches to a blender or food processor to puree. Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender.
- Add remaining salt to taste, and stir. Serve immediately.
I loved this so much I made it twice in a week. Now I know I need to just double the recipe and freeze some for later. The first time I made it, I made the mistake of not removing the lemongrass before I pureed it. Let’s just say that every few bites of soup had a lovely strand of lemongrass it it. Thank God I wasn’t serving it to anyone.
In this weather, hot soup is so comforting. But I have a feeling that this would be just as good chilled in the warmer weather. You can serve this with warm, toasted bread or as an appetizer to a roasted chicken dinner. To enhance the coconut flavor, I topped mine with some unsweetened coconut flakes. I liked the added crunch!
Slurp, slurp enjoy!! <3s